Tuesday, December 25, 2012

BAKING IN YELLOWKNIFE

I have been baking for Christmas but have found that cooking is a little different here. The first time we went to the grocery store I had no idea how much meat was in a package. I couldn't figure out what I was paying per pound. I found this conversion chart in the apartment when we first got here. It has been a huge help. Thank you previous missionaries! I have to get it out quite often. I keep it in my cookbook! Even when I buy something I have to check the chart when I get home to see how much I bought! It is also so dry here that my cookies get almost as hard as a rock so I have started using less baking time with them.
I can't find the same ingredients here. I told Elder Garrett not to brag about my cooking here because I have no idea how it will turn out. I made my sour cream coconut cake for the branch Christmas party. The ingredients were not the same as I get at home. I threatened him not to tell anyone it was delicious because I didn't know if it would taste the same. The coconut was different and I guessed at how much to put in after getting out my faithful chart. It ended up that it was good and almost the whole cake was eaten. I make a tortilla soup that we all love. Can't find the same ingredients. It is still really good just different from what I usually make. I can't get butter in sticks so have to buy the pound block and cut it up. So, don't always know if I'm getting the measurements correct. Guess it hasn't turned out to bad, we manage to eat what I cook. We definitely haven't lost any weight over it!! Only a little part of this great adventure!!




No comments:

Post a Comment